LEDtronics Inc's new LED lamps at the Santa Monica Pier and Carousel Building are helping the 97-year-old landmark conserve energy by more than 30 per cent, increase safety, remove light pollution, and reduce maintenance time.
"The old, fluorescent lights on the Pier burned out, left gaps in the lighting and were in a difficult area to maintain," states Matt Henigan, City of Santa Monica, Office of Sustainability and the Environment, Energy Efficiency Engineer. "With the new LED lamps in place, maintenance is minimal, and we have already reduced energy consumption by over 30 per . And because the LED lighting is directional, it improves safety and enhances the Pier's appearance without causing light pollution for local residents."
The 413,056 square-foot Santa Monica Pier also includes one of the few, surviving all-wooden carousels in the world, part of the Santa Monica Looff Hippodrome, designed in 1916 by Charles Looff. A favorite for stars like Marilyn Monroe, Joan Baez and W C Fields, and film and television shows such as, The Sting, The Net, Inside Daisy Clover, Charlie's Angels, and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, the famous building housed hundreds of old, fluorescent bulbs that required constant changing and maintenance.
"Now that the necklace lights on the carousel building have been replaced with LEDs, there are no gaps, they give off a nice, bright glow, and the colors really bring out the colors on the building," states Jim Harris, Santa Monica Pier Restoration Corporation Deputy Director.
"We won't need to change these bulbs for years, and the LED lamps added to the rest area and Boardwalk outside of the building increase security and provide a well-lit area for people to relax and enjoy the sights and sounds of the Pier."
Finalized in December of 2012, the City of Santa Monica funded the LEDs project with a $668,000 Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant (EECBG) award from the US Department of Energy. For the project, LEDtronics provided:
* LED Light Bulbs, S14 Style for the Looff Hippodrome
* These LEDs consume only 1.3 watts, replacing the 11-watt incandescent bulbs with the potential for over 80 per cent in energy savings.
* LED Post Top Lights in a pendant style with mogul-base fixtures for the outdoor, rest area These LEDs only use 20 watts of power and replace 50 to 70 Watt MH/HPS bulbs.
* LED Post Top Pendant Lights for the Santa Monica Pier Boardwalk
* Consuming only 27 watts of power, these lights replace close to 150+ watt older MH bulb types and provide instant energy savings and LED long-life.
* LEDtronics TRF-A19-TPW-02 LED Bulbs in The A19-Style were used in the hard-to-reach, beacon light fixtures around the Pier's perimeter.
* These solid-state (LED) light bulbs provide direct incandescent replacement and up to 90 per cent in energy savings.
For more information, visit www.ledtronics.com